Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Beginning, revisited

Last week, we had an amazing experience.  We took Matthew back to the hospital he was born at, so he could see where he was before he came home with us.  He's seen the photos and he always has questions -- where's that room?  where's that tiny bottle?  who took care of me? 

So I contacted a social worker at the hospital and told her what I wanted to do.  She came through in a BIG way!  Matthew was able to see the very room where we took our first family photo, the very nursery where Cameron first saw him, the very rocking chair that we first held him in.  The nurse who had taken care of him remembered him and wrote him a beautiful letter.  The social worker gave him a tiny baby bottle and a knit hat like the one he came home in.  Matthew was fascinated by it all and it brought back so many happy memories for the rest of our family.  And as soon as we got home, Matthew stretched the little hat over his great big head, filled the tiny bottle with water and requested that I rock and feed him like a tiny baby.  Which I did, but I will resist the urge to post the photo here, lest he be embarassed by it when he's a teenager!








5 comments:

kimbill16 said...

Oh my gosh, Sharon. The pictures made me cry. What a journey for your family! Isn't it amazing how much has happened in four years?! Kudos to the hospital staff for being so awesome.

Ginger said...

Love This.

Grandma Linda said...

I cried too. So beautiful that there are so many caring people in Matthew's life. What a joy!

Rebeccah said...

Yup, tears here too. Would love to do this with our son someday.

Deborah Jones said...

I love this - so glad you guys were able to do this!