Thursday, April 30, 2009

Obvious Observation

I am in the kids' shoe aisle in Target. As I try to get Cameron to stop talking and wiggling and talking and just put his foot in the shoe, Matthew takes off down the aisle. He comes to a quick stop when a woman comes around the corner. He gazes up at her. "Hi!" she says. She scans the aisle and sees only Cameron and me.

"Matthew," I call, serving to alert her that this child is not alone but is in fact with me.

"He's sooo cute!" she says.

"Thanks!"

She looks at a few shoes, then heads down another aisle, only to loop back around. She points at Cameron. "I should have said that they're both cute!"

"Thanks!" I repeat.

Then she does squinty-eyed head tilt, as if examining something. She points to Cameron again. "And he looks a little bit more like you," she observes.

That Cameron looks more like me than Matthew does is so far beyond obvious that I have no idea how to even respond. As I search for a reasonable response, since "No duh" seems a bit juvenille, she continues. "I think it's the eyes. His eyes look more like yours."

The eyes? You really think that's it, lady? For lack of a better response, I again say, "Thanks."

I'm still entirely perplexed. People respond to our family in many different ways, some of which are entirely offensive (even if well-intentioned). I wasn't offended by this woman, just confused!

5 comments:

Neelu said...

Sharon, funny that she decided to use the eyes to point out similarities. You should have said "The eyes? You really think that's it, lady? " - I wonder what her reaction would have been. Ok, yeah that would not be considered polite but its ok to not be polite once in a while;)

Unknown said...

So funny I really just started rolling laughing out loud in my office. Your blog is so entertaining. You have inspired me to start my own, although I am no where near the writer that you are. Keep the stories coming!!

kimbill16 said...

I don't know . . . I think it's more in the hair. That's how I can tell, anyway.
-Kim

Zack F said...

I always thought it was the fingernails..... this lady is clearly more observant than I am.

Michelle said...

That is hillarious..I would have been speachless too..I think your "thoughts" should be spoken! ;) we are adopting as well.. and we are getting the same questions.. but no.. I can't say that I have heard that one yet.. our big one is " What country is she from?" as soon as I see a stranger aproaching I whisper to whoever is with me.." She's from HERE.. HERE ok??" hehe.. so predictable.